Home > SQL Server > The x64 experience

The x64 experience

The 64 bit beast has been out there for a while now and new servers are generally 64 bit compatible. The first thing that often comes into my mind when i think 64 bit is performance & memory with "compatibility" hot its heels (and recollection of a good article by Linchi Shea).

My fears around compatibility have been pretty much put to rest and we now recommend SQL 2005 x64 as our base build. However it does seem that 64 bit builds need a bit more attention. I say this because recently i’ve been having to register 64 bit dll’s again and having mentioned this to a few DBA’s the conversations went a bit like "Really? So was it x.dll or y.dll". Fortunately though the problems seem to only be affecting the tools (touch wood) but i am curious as to what experiences others are having with 64 bit servers so please do leave some comments.

Now, to help others who run head first into the very misleading errors i experienced i`ll detail the errors and the fixes below.

The first problem

This one occurred when we were doing a server build. One of our final tasks was to deploy a SSIS package so we went to open the package in BIDS and were greeted with the following error when loading the package.

"The package failed to load due to error 0xC0010014 "One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors preceding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFormXML fails."

Some research threw up a few red herrings but the next clue came when i decided to connect to the SSIS instance using SSMS. At this point i got an error stating

"Error loading type library/DLL"

Further research threw up the following document which gave me a few options none of which i liked and more importantly the top solution was use the latest SP which i was already running so i decided to go hunting and use the sysinternals process monitor to see if i could find the issue. 15 minutes later the culprit was found to be the DTS.dll which process monitor identified as throwing some unusual errors so i located the 64 bit version and use REGSVR32 to register the DTS.DLL again and this resolved my problems.

The second problem

This one came a few weeks down the line on the same server. I was working in SSMS and connected to SSIS, when expanding the tree view i got the following error.

"Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED))"

This time i went straight to my trusty process monitor and found that the server was trying to use the 32 bit version of msdtssrvrutil.dll. I located the 64 bit version and registered it and everything worked again. This time i also took to opportunity to check as best i could that everything else was working.

Its been a few weeks since the issues now and all’s well so hopefully the server will behave, until the next time………

Advertisements
Categories: SQL Server
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: